https://www.instagram.com/p/Ccv0mh-jWxg/?hl=en

Instagram has forced me to think about framing, not only in the image itself but also in the caption. Live performance has always been the focus for me in my musical pursuits, so framing isn’t something I typically consider. The pandemic, along with this class, has caused me to begin performing digitally, which introduces many artistic layers that are not present in live performance. For this Instagram post, there are a few frames going on, one being the caption. As the authors say, “the caption of a picture is a frame that guides interpretation” (Lupton/Phillips 100). Throughout this class my captions have varied, from no caption to long captions that describe what I’m playing specifically. My captions have tended to be kind of blunt and descriptive, but with this post I took a different approach and used one word, “Renewal” to give the listener a clear concept from which to listen. Captioning this piece with a different word, say, “Mourning”, would change the way the audience interacts with the melodies I improvised. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Nostalgia