Balance, rhythm, and texture

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcMWMyFD9sI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

There is balance in the interplay between silence and sound, long notes and faster, shorter notes, quiet playing and loud playing. I find myself instinctively exploring this balance in all my improvisations, reflecting how “balance is a fundamental human condition: we require physical balance to stand upright and walk; we seek balance among the many facets of our personal and professional lives; the world struggles for balance of power” (Lupton/Phillips 29). Similarly, my music making requires balance, and I am in a constant struggle to stretch and maintain that balance. My clip also had a subtle rhythm and pacing over long periods of time. This was present in the repetition and development of distinct musical phrases that each had a clear beginning and end. Filming through the water bottle created a distorted texture that is different from the rest of my videos so far. I’m not sure how much it added to my work, but I think it served to pull the focus away from the image and into the sound. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Nostalgia